Wellington Schools Cycling Update
And so it’s August already! Last Sunday started off the annual Schools Criterium Series, run by the PNP Cycling Club. These events have been running for many years now and were created to prepare riders for the upcoming big events of the season.
The Criterium Series is a short course with closed off roads, where there is no traffic. An ideal way to run safe racing! You can enter on the day. Please wear your School Cycling Kit to these events (if you have them).
For more details about the events please go to: https://www.pnp.org.nz/criterium-series
Following the Criterium Series, there will be one final event on the local calendar; the Wgtn Schools Champs. Now in its 12th year, this event has had riders who have gone on to be National Champions and Junior World Champions. Mark this date in your diary’s and make it the big one for the year! More details to come.
North Island Schools Road & Track Champs – Cambridge, July 2018
Quite a good sized contingent of Wellington riders attended the three days of racing in Cambridge this year. This event always provides a high level of competition and challenges our riders to rise to a new level.
- Day1 – The Road Race: Three top ten results from Wellington riders in large fields! In the U13 girls, Millie Donald (Kena Kena School) came home in 4th place. In the U15 Girls, Zoe Perry (Wgtn East girls College) was in 10th overall. In the U16 Boys road race, Freddie Dossor rode an incredibly smart race to finish in 5th place.
- Day2 – The Criterium: Six top 10 results from Wellington riders and a 1st place in the U20B grade Boys criterium is an incredible result for Wgtn Schools! Millie Donald (Kena Kena school), 7th place in the U13 girls, meanwhile Grace Saywell (Paraparaumu College) rode a smart race to finish in 9th place. Scots College had an awesome second day of racing with 5 top results: Elliot Robertson (U14), 5th; Boston Bright (U17), 4th; Freddie Dossor (U16), 9th (out of 64 riders). Henry Levett (U20), 5th; and Louis Hodgkinson rode the whole race on his own and come home in first place!
- Day 3 -The Track Champs: Our 5 newbie riders: Charlie, Sam, Ben, Toby & Stanley all did well to fit in their accreditation over the weekend and then go straight into some hard racing – all taking part in the action by making attacks and some earning points in the final Points Race. None were content with sitting on the back in their first indoor track champs, which was great to see. Our more seasoned riders were also aggressive throughout their racing with Henry and Boston winning their Keiren heats or finals. Overall our riders were pretty tired after all that racing, but still managed good placings on the track. Our riders did Wellington schools proud. Full results here: https://schools . cyclingnewzealand . nz/results
We now head towards the business end of the schools calender where all the big races are. There will be riders heading away to the North Island and South island Schools Tours and then the National School Champs in Canterbury. We wish them all well in their efforts where-ever they represent Wellington around the country.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the criterium events!
2018 SCHOOLS CYCLING CALENDAR:
- 5 Aug: Criterium 1 of 3 – Trentham
- 12 Aug: Criterium 2 of 3 – Trentham
- 19 Aug: Criterium 3 of 3 – Trentham
- 26th Aug: TTT 4 of 4? – Wainuiomata – (to be confirmed)
- 1-2 Sept: Sth Island Schools Tour – Blenheim
- 8-9 Sept: Nth Island Schools Tour – Auckland
- 16 Sept: CSW Wgtn Road Cycling Champs – Upper Hutt
- 29 Sept: CNZ Sir Bernard-Ferguson TTT Champs – Chch
- 30 Sept: CNZ Road Cycling Champs – Road Race – Chch
- 1st Oct: CNZ Road Cycling Champs – Pts Race – Chch
Gary Gibson firstname.lastname@example.org
Article and information courtesy of PNP Weekly News