College Sport Wellington Stakeholder Update – Sport at Alert Level 2 (12 August)
Dear students, staff, family members, partners and supporters of College Sport Wellington,
Firstly, on behalf of the Board and Staff of College Sport Wellington, I want to thank you all for your support of secondary school sport and the decisions we are communicating to you.
Following the Government’s Alert Level 2 announcement last night and update this morning, College Sport Wellington has reviewed its competitions and events over the next 72 hours. At the same time we have been in communication with our member schools and partner sports to ensure that the appropriate plans and safety measures are in place. Thankfully our schools have been preparing for this eventuality and their “Sport at Alert Level 2” plans were already well advanced.
Based on that review, the following decisions have been made to proceed with the following fixtures this afternoon (Wednesday, 12 August):
- Wednesday afternoon girls football matches will proceed today
- Wednesday afternoon Ultimate Frisbee competition matches will proceed today
- Wednesday afternoon eSport competition matches will proceed today
However, based on the advice of our partner sports, the following events have either been cancelled or postponed:
- Girls Rugby – no matches may proceed tonight. The decision on whether these games are cancelled or postponed will be communicated in due course
- Table Tennis – no matches may proceed tonight. The decision on whether these games are cancelled or postponed will be communicated in due course.
- Indoor Bowls – Thursday’s tournament (August 13) is postponed, with a new date to be confirmed in due course.
Clearly this is a very fluid situation, so we will not be rushing our decisions on competitions and events beyond those listed above. In terms of a timeline, from here we will adopt the following timeframes:
- Thursday afternoon sport – decisions to be communicated late morning on Thursday
- Friday afternoon sport – decisions to be communicated late morning on Friday
- Weekend sport – decisions to be communicated late afternoon on Friday.
All decisions will be communicated via email, website and social media. Beyond this weekend, we are hopeful further government updates will give us a good steer in the next several days, and we will naturally communicate accordingly
We thank you in advance for your support of these decisions, and ask that you follow the instructions of the host school or venue when attending matches. Our member schools will now liaise directly with each other on specific requirements for visitors.
-Bryan Dickinson (CSW Executive Director)