College Sport Wellington Stakeholder Update – 12 May 2020
For Sport NZs Alert Level 2 guidelines please click HERE (Updated on 13th May)
Dear students, staff, family members, partners and supporters of College Sport Wellington,
Following the Government’s announcement yesterday afternoon, College Sport Wellington will now move to the next phase of its planning process, for the resumption of secondary school sport. Over the next fortnight we will be working with our Regional Sport partners and schools to determine the sport-specific health and safety measures that need to be put in place, so as to adhere to the guidelines detailed in the attached Sport NZ document. As you will appreciate, there are many operational requirements that need to be considered, which will take time. Then, as those health and safety measures are confirmed, we can look at specific dates for the resumption of the secondary school sports calendar. As outlined in earlier updates, CSW will continue to adhere to the following principles:
- Allow sufficient time for schools and students to prepare for the season.
- Work with our regional and national sports partners to ensure strong communication and alignment of planning.
- Work with schools to determine what the Alert Levels mean for both intra and inter school sport.
- Winter Tournament Week considerations are factored into our planning.
- Make full use of the weeks available in Term 3, including the final weekend.
- A strong preference to finish the secondary school winter seasons at the end of Term 3 and not extend into Term 4.
While we share your excitement that a resumption of school sport may be just around the corner, we want to emphasise that a careful and considered approach is vital. We must not undo the hard work of the last six weeks by rushing into activities that have not been properly planned. This planning extends to the training environment and we ask that schools take note of the guidance provided by the National Sports over the coming weeks.
We note that as per the original 2020 College Sport Wellington Calendar, we have lost only two weeks of Term Two so far. There is still ample time to complete the winter season.
Thanks again for your patience and ongoing support of secondary school sport. Our next stakeholder update will be on Monday, 25 May, at which time we hope to confirm resumption dates for at least some secondary school sports.
-Bryan Dicknson, CSW Executive Director