College Sport Wellington Stakeholder Update – Resumption of Sport
Dear students, staff, family members, partners and supporters of College Sport Wellington,
Firstly, on behalf of the Board and Staff of College Sport Wellington, I want to thank you all for your continued support and patience as we inch closer to a resumption of secondary school sport.
Following yesterday afternoon’s announcement by the Government, we are now in a position to confirm the start dates for a number of secondary school competitions and events this term. The planning by College Sport Wellington and its partners means that the appropriate risk mitigation measures will be in place before these start dates. Ongoing, these plans and measures will be updated as new guidelines are announced by the Government. Therefore, on that basis, College Sport Wellington can confirm the following:
- Hockey – The Wellington Secondary Schools Hockey Competitions will commence on June 12 for P1/P2 grades and from June 15 for other grades
- Underwater Hockey – The College Sport Wellington Underwater Hockey competition will commence on June 16
- Basketball – The Dynasty College Sport Wellington Basketball competitions will commence on June 16 for Juniors and June 19 for Seniors
- Football – The College Sport Wellington Football Competitions, now proudly sponsored by Fuji-Xerox, will commence from June 16 for Girls and from June 19 for Boys
- Badminton – The College Sport Wellington Badminton competitions will commence from June 19
- Netball – Netball competitions can commence from June 19 and each Netball Centre will confirm their exact start date shortly. The Hutt Valley SS competitions will commence on June 20 and the College Sport Wellington RSSL will commence in Term 3
- Rugby – The College Sport Wellington Rugby Competitions, now proudly sponsored by Tranzit Coachlines, will commence from June 20
In the coming week, the CSW Sport Managers and our partner Regional Sports Organisations will be in contact with schools to confirm the exact format for each competition. At the same time, College Sport Wellington will endeavour to confirm the remainder of competitions and events on the secondary school calendar. In particular we will be in discussions with our Regional Sport partners on the plan for Winter Tournament Week (31 August to 6 September), pending an update from School Sport NZ.
We wish you well for the season ahead and your preparations over the coming weeks.