Silverstream Wins Eventful Sports Exchange

In wet, chilly conditions that cleared in the afternoon St Patrick’s College, Silverstream and St Patrick’s College, Wellington contested their annual sports exchange.

The headline events were the First XV rugby which started the Premier I competition and the First XI football which was settled by the visitors with an early and late strike.

Played on a blustery artificial surface Silverstream, soundly beaten last year, made an early statement when Flynn McCaul scored a goal after five minutes.

Silverstream’s defense was often tested, but organisation and courage were evident as Town pressed for an equalizer but were unable to breakthrough.

The visitors weren’t without chances and in the 70th minute they sealed victory when Ollie Raynor doubled the advantage.

It was the 32nd traditional fixture. Silverstream has enjoyed 17 wins to 13 with two draws.

A penalty try from the end of the world? Silverstream stunned Town 26-17 after two late tries saw a one-hour deficit revered.

With less than five minutes remaining the visitors were down 17-14 and anchored inside their 22 where they conceded a scrum in centre field. Despite being hammered in that facet throughout, Silverstream remarkably hooked a tighthead and spread the ball wide to the left flank.

Centre Tony Solomona busted, and spotting Town had no fullback kicked towards the Town in goal area. In the pursuit of possession, a Silverstream player was taken out 35-metres away from the try line. Referee Matthew Thomas awarded a penalty try to Silverstream who claimed the lead for the first time in the match.

There was no doubt a Silverstream player was impeded, but points being rewarded so far out will be a bone of contention for many.

Town first-five Christian Stenhouse failed to find the 10-metre mark at the re-start and a stabilised Silverstream scrum salvaged the ball.

With renewed confidence the forwards stretched Town from side to side and then halfback Tjay Clark wriggled clear to establish a left side break by fullback Lachie Forbes which was finished by second-five Riley Higgins.

Town should never have been overtaken. Bristling No.8 Jeramiah Collins (first nephew of Jerry Collins) barged over in the second minute as Silverstream struggled to contain the size and mobility of the home pack.

It was 10-0 at halftime and the damage could have been far worse had Town’s handling been more accurate.

Solomona scored a quality try shortly after the break to close the deficit to 10-7, but Moses Galuvao hit back for Town to make it 17-10.

Silverstream No.8 Peter Lakai was a workhorse and he caught Town napping from a quick tap penalty to close the gap to 17-14.

Curiously, Town replaced their entire front row and Collins before conceding a yellow card for a ‘tip tackle.’ Despite being undermanned Town was held up over the line, but Silverstream’s physical inferiority diminished.

Silverstream is a fit and spirited team and with Higgins they boast a lethal strike weapon.

The match doubled as a Premiership round-robin match. Silverstream take five points after securing a four try bonus point. Cruelly Town attain nothing, but if they can find some killer instinct, they will be a serious threat for the remainder of the season.

All Results

1st XV Rugby: Stream, 26-17

Senior A Basketball: Town, 74-56

1st XI Football: Stream, 2-0

1st XI Hockey: Drawn, 1-1

Junior Basketball: 99-42 to Stream

U15 Rugby: Town, 41-29

Colts Football: Stream, 3-1

Road Race: Stream, 2-1

Badminton: Town, 6-0

Golf: Stream, 2-1

Overall: Stream, 6.5-3.5


-Story Courtesy of College Sport Media