College Sport Wellington Stakeholder Update – Sport at Alert Level 2, 13 August 2020
Dear students, staff, family members, partners and supporters of College Sport Wellington,
Following on from our update yesterday, College Sport Wellington can advise the below – pending any further Alert Level updates from the Government:
Spectators at College Sport Wellington Competitions and Events – Not Permitted At Alert Level 2 from this Friday onwards
At Alert Level 2, there is an increased emphasis upon contact tracing and crowd management at sporting events. In particular, we are mindful of the 100 person gathering limit at venues. In consultation with our member schools, council venues and partner sports organisations over the past 24 hours, it has become clear the prudent approach is to not permit spectators at secondary school events. This ensures gatherings will be manageable under the 100 person limit, and that our students can continue to enjoy their sport.
We therefore ask those not directly involved in playing, officiating or administering games, to respect this decision and assist us in ensuring the season can continue. To be clear, this decision covers all College Sport Wellington competitions and events in the Wellington region, both indoors and outdoors. We will naturally review this decision at appropriate intervals, and as further Government advice becomes available.
As with everyone, we are hopeful of a safe and speedy return to Alert Level 1.
Sport Specific Updates
Today we can confirm the following updates for specific sports:
- The Thursday Badminton round is confirmed to proceed this afternoon (August 13)
- The Novice Grade Basketball games at St Pats Silverstream are confirmed to proceed this afternoon (August 13)
- This Friday nights’ Underwater Hockey round is cancelled. Unfortunately the number of students present at the pools cannot be managed under the 100 person limit.
At this stage, please assume all other events/competitions are proceeding until we advise otherwise. For Friday, this includes Basketball, Badminton, Rugby and Football. Naturally this is all pending further advice from the government on Alert Levels. Looking further ahead, our intention is to provide a decision on weekend sport following the Government’s expected Friday update. We are hopeful the timing of this decision is in line with our normal practices around rain-affected weekends.
-Bryan Dickinson (Executive Director)