Update #2 – 2022 Hurricanes U14 Boys Rugby Festival
I hope your rugby season is going well and the bad weather hasn’t been too much of a damper.
A quick update in regards to the Hurricanes Youth Rugby Council Under 14 boys rugby festival. Please pass to your team management. If you did not receive this email directly from me and would like to receive future emails, please let me know.
We welcome Scots College and Orewa College to the festival, who have joined since the last update, which makes it a nice even 12 teams.
I will look to complete this early next weekend and send it out. If you have any requests, especially teams travelling from out of town, please let me know. I have already received some requests for early games on the Wednesday so teams can make ferries and flights, or early / late games on Tuesday so teams can go out and explore Wellington City.
Game times will be:
- Monday 29th August – 12pm, 1.20pm, 2.40pm
- Tuesday 30th August – 11am, 12.20pm, 1.40pm
- Wednesday 31st August – 10am, 11.20am, 12.40pm
Things to do in Wellington
For our out of town teams travelling to Wellington, please let me know if you are looking for something interesting to do while your team is in Wellington. Whether it is hitting up Te Papa (FREE) or one of the other awesome museums, checking out Wētā Workshop, playing some laser tag or mini putt at The Witching Hour, or perhaps a bit of shopping or eating, Wellington has lots to do. Check out https://www.wellingtonnz.com/ or https://www.theurbanlist.com/nz/a-list/things-to-do-in-wellington .
If you have junior referees in your school or referees from your community that would like to travel with your team, please let me know. We would happy to make use of their services as a referee at our event, and made sure that they are well looked after (including a free top J from our apparel sponsor Dynasty).
Team Lists – to be completed
All players details must be completed on EnterNOW (Wellington Teams) or Team lists excel spreadsheet by Monday 29th August. On the template attached, I have left space for adult helpers who plan to be at the games.
Player Eligibility reminder
- A player must be under 14 as at 1 January 2022 (born in 2008 or 2009).
- A player must be eligible to play as per School Sport NZ eligibility
- All players must be registered on NZ Rugby database (via SPORTY)
COVID-19 & Sickness
It is recommend that all teams including players, parents, and team management are aware of your school’s COVID-19 policies relating to school trips. Things to check would be:
- What happens if a player or team managements tests positive either before the festival and can’t attend?
- What happens if a player contracts COVID-19 while they are away and who is responsible for isolation and returning that person home? Who is a Household contact?
- What role does team management have in checking players symptoms while away?
School Sport NZ has provided some fantastic FAQ’s for teams who are attending sanction events like the Hurricanes U14 Festival. Make sure your school and team management have read it: https://www.schoolsportnz.org.nz/Sport-1/Events/faqs