Silverstream claim victory in Traditional against Wellington College

St Patrick’s College, Silverstream claimed a 2-1 victory in their annual sports exchange against Wellington College in horrid conditions yesterday.

Silverstream was successful in the First XV rugby and basketball while the football ended dramatically

The Silverstream First XV have extended their Wellington Premiership winning streak to 25 consecutive games, successfully retaining the Ken Gray Memorial Trophy 30-12 against Wellington College.

Silverstream shot to a 17-0 lead after eight minutes and were never in serious danger of being surpassed, despite incurring the wrath of the visiting Japanese referee in the second-half.

Silverstream split the kickoff and the hosts mounted a promising initial attack. However successive penalties enabled Silverstream first-five Lachie Forbes to clear and then kick a 25-metre penalty goal.

Wellington were guilty of missing too many first up tackles and continuity combined with aggression led to the opening try for Silverstream loosehead Julius Masoe.

Forbes’ tactical kicking was vastly superior to his opposite, frequently anchoring Wellington inside their own 22. Wellington’s decision making under pressure was often poor and a botched clearance led to a penalty try.

A shallow and brazen chip was intercepted on the full by Silverstream who kicked into vacant space. Halfback Rory Woolett led the pursuit for possession and was pushed over in a likely scoring position.

Wellington’s lineout showed plenty of push shortly after the restart, swarming over from a maul to close the gap to 17-5.

Silverstream wing Connor Scannell-Houghton was bundled out close to the corner flag while a forwards fumble saw some reprieve for Wellington.

Tony Solomona was in no mood for mercy though. Ten minutes before the interval the centre fended off his marker and touched down for try number three.

Down 24-5 at halftime, Wellington swiftly responded to the desperate pleas of their coaches by crossing for a try. Jerome Otutaha batted through traffic close to the posts to half the deficit.

Silverstream were lucky not to be reduced in numbers as their discipline wavered. The harder Wellington tired, the worse things seemed to get.

With 15 minutes remaining Silverstream extended the lead to 27-12 with a Woolett penalty. Openside Mitch Southall won a textbook turnover padlocking a forlorn and fallen attacker.

Forbes, arguably the man of the match, appropriately had the last say by slotting another penalty from 15-metres out.

If the rugby fizzled out lamely, the 19th Fred Rooker First XI football match ended like a Greek tragedy for Silverstream.

Down 1-0, and denied a goal earlier in the contest, Silverstream leveled through Munashe Zitye with the clock approaching the 80th minute.

The visitors then pressed urgently for a winner, twice in injury time entering the penalty box, but Wellington’s defence held firm.

Deep into referee’s time Wellington hoisted the ball to halfway where a Slverstream defender slipped allowing the speedy Levi Bank to latch on to the loose possession and dash clear.

One-on-one with the Silverstream keeper, Bank clinically shot the ball with his right-foot into the left corner to give Wellington a lead that will be likely talked about at future reunions.

Silverstream scored in the 89th minute to beat Wellington two weekends ago. Cooper Duggan scored Wellington’s first goal in the 80th minute.

In the basketball Silverstream scored their second victory of the season against Wellington, leading from start to finish in a commanding 106-72 success.