Stakeholder Update – Return to Alert Level 2 (1 March)
Dear students, staff, family members, partners and supporter of College Sport Wellington,
On behalf of the Board and Staff of College Sport Wellington, I want to thank you for your continuing support of secondary school sport, particularly under these trying times.
As you will be aware, the return of Alert Level 2 conditions in Wellington comes at a particularly busy time of year for the secondary school sporting calendar. In addition to our weekly summer competitions, several major events and tournaments are scheduled to take place over the next fortnight. The requirements of Alert Level 2 mean that we need to evaluate these events in terms of gathering sizes, plus contact tracing and the other hygiene considerations. With this in mind, please find below a summary of our decisions for this week, and with a view to contingency plans for the following week also.
Athletics – Zone and Regional Meetings
- The Zone Athletics meetings scheduled for this week (2, 3 and 4 March) are postponed, as is the Regional event scheduled for 11 March. Postponement dates will be advised shortly, by the CSW Sport Managers responsible for each Zone event. The Regionals are postponed until the week starting 29 March.
Senior Volleyball Tournament
- The Senior Volleyball Tournament scheduled for 5 and 6 March will proceed, under Alert Level 2 requirements. This will necessitate a reduction in the number of teams competing and the CSW Sport Manager responsible for Volleyball will advise schools shortly on the process for this.
- This event has been postponed until the following weekend (13 and 14 March).
Weekly Competitions Proceeding (No Spectator Policy)
The majority of CSW’s regular weekly competitions will proceed under Alert Level 2 requirements and these will be communicated to schools by the relevant CSW Sport Manager. In terms of managing gathering limits of 100 people, College Sport Wellington has assessed each sport and made the following determination:
- Indoor Sports – no spectators are to be present
- Outdoor Sports – where social distancing can be reasonably expected/supervised, spectators are allowed. On review of our COVID-19 plans, this means that spectators are allowed at cricket, golf and ultimate, but not Touch Rugby or Ki o Rahi.
Clearly this is a slight relaxation of the blanket “no spectator” policy used previously. We have based this decision on the likely numbers present and their ability to keep within the 100 person gathering limits. This decision will be reviewed next week upon feedback by the schools. Regardless, we urge all people present to exercise caution and adhere to the Government’s guidelines on social distancing.
Weekly Competitions Not Proceeding
- Floorball – At this stage, we can confirm that the weekly Floorball competition (4 March) has been cancelled, and that the games will carry over until next week.
We thank you in advance for your support of these decisions and we will communicate any updates to you in a timely manner. Looking ahead to next week, College Sport Wellington is building further contingency plans into its events, in case Wellington remains at Alert Level 2 beyond Saturday.
We wish you all the best for the week and, like you, hope for a speedy return to Alert Level 1.
Bryan Dickinson – CSW Executive Director